Guide to Lip Filler MarylandJanuary 18, 2023
Veins in Leg Popping Out? What it MeansJanuary 25, 2023
If you have varicose veins, you may be wondering about your treatment options in Columbia. Varicose veins can be uncomfortable, painful, and unsightly. However, there are ways to get rid of your varicose veins. Here’s what you need to know about treatment for varicose veins in Columbia.
What are Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins are swollen blood vessels. They appear just under the skin’s surface, most commonly in the legs. When vein walls are weak or damaged, and the valves don’t work properly, blood pools in the vein. This causes the thick, bulging, blue or purple veins on your legs, ankles, or feet.
Varicose Veins vs. Spider Veins
Are they different? Yes. While they are both types of venous disease, they look different. Spider veins are the smaller, thinner veins that branch out like a red or blue spider web. They are closer to the skin surface and aren’t typically painful. Additionally, spider veins can appear anywhere on the body are usually seen on the face, feet, or legs.
There is not cure for varicose veins but there are several treatments available to reduce their appearance and alleviate discomfort. These include:
- Elevating your legs above your waist several times a day can increase blood flow and decrease pressure in the veins.
- Compression Stockings. Supportive compression socks or stocking compress the veins and reduce discomfort. They prevent the veins from stretching and help improve blood flow.
- Sclerotherapy. This treatment involves injecting a chemical solution into the vein. This causes the vein walls to stick together seal shut. Blood is rerouted and the body absorbs the damaged vein.
- Laser Vein Treatment. this minimally invasive procedure uses a catheter and laser to close off damaged veins.
- Vein Surgery. Also called ligation and stripping, this procedure involves the surgical removal of the damaged vein.
Doctor for Varicose Veins in Columbia
Many people have varicose veins. If you are tired of dealing with bulging veins in your legs, it may be time to consider treatment. Contact the Vein Center of Maryland to learn more.