What Causes Veins to Show in Legs?December 6, 2021
Are Blue Veins on Legs Normal?December 6, 2021
If you have looked down to be surprised by visible leg veins you may be wondering ‘is it normal to have veiny legs?’
There are many reasons for visible veins, but in some cases, a sudden surfacing may be indicative of a deeper underlying condition which is why you should always consult your doctor for medical advice related to your veins.
What Causes Veiny Legs?
Leg veins may appear more visible due to a variety of reasons including the following:
- Age: As you age your skin thins which may show your veins more visibly.
- Hormones: Visible leg veins may show due to hormonal changes that occur when pregnant, menstruation, and for those taking hormonal therapies.
- Weight: Your weight can contribute to visible veins as excess weight puts pressure on the veins and may cause health issues.
- Exercise: Exercise can cause your veins to pop out more especially for those with a low BMI.
- Vein Disease: Vein disease may present as visible, twisted, painful or bulging veins in the legs and should be addressed by a medical doctor as soon as possible.
When Should I Worry About Visible Leg Veins?
If your veins are becoming darker and you are considered a high risk patient for developing vein disease it is definitely time to call a professional for medical guidance.
Some patients who fall in this high risk categories include:
- Patients with a family or personal history or varicose veins
- Overweight or obese patients
- Pregnant women
- Those who sit or stand for long periods of time
- Patients over age 50
Is It Normal to Have Veiny Legs?
While veiny legs may be nothing, it is always best to seek medical attention to rule out any serious underlying conditions.
At The Vein Center of Maryland, our team of dedicated professionals are passionate about helping our patients achieve optimal vein health.
Please feel free to call The Vein Center of Maryland today for all of your questions or concerns. Simply call (410)970-2314 now to schedule your free consultation.