Why Do My Legs Feel Heavy and How to Fix ItFebruary 3, 2023
What Causes Spider Veins?February 10, 2023
Are you searching the internet for “how to get rid of varicose veins”? It’s understandable. These bulging veins can be uncomfortable and cause many people to struggle with their appearance. Fortunately, there are many treatment options to help you get rid of them.
Understanding Varicose Veins
Varicose veins are thick, dark purple or blue veins that bulge and twist. They often show up in the legs and cause painful symptoms including:
- Achy, heavy feeling legs
- Burning, swelling, cramping, and throbbing in the lower legs
- Itching around the vein
- Skin color changes around the vein
- Pain when sitting or standing for longer periods.
After you have been to a vein specialist and been diagnoses with varicose veins, you can begin to discuss treatment options. There are several options, including self-care measures, compression stockings, and surgeries or procedures. These are normally done as same day procedures so you can go home after.
Self-care measures, such as exercise, wearing compressions stocking, and raising the legs when sitting or lying down can help ease the discomfort of varicose veins. Additionally, it may prevent them from getting worse.
Compression stockings are usually the first option for getting rid of varicose veins. These stocking squeeze the legs, helping veins and leg muscles move blood more efficiently. The amount of compression varies by type and brand. Additionally, you can find compression stockings at most pharmacies and medical supply stores. However, prescription strength stockings are also available and may be covered by insurance.
There are a few procedures that your provider may recommend. These include:
- Sclerotherapy. This injectable treatment forces varicose veins to scar and close.
- Laser Treatment. Laser treatment targets varicose veins with strong bursts of light, causing it to fade and disappear.
- RF or Laser Catheter Procedures involve inserting a catheter into the vein and heating it using laser energy or radiofrequency. The heat destroys the vein and forces it to collapse.
How to Get Rid of Varicose Veins
Now that we have talked about the different treatment options for getting rid of varicose veins, its time for you to talk to a vein specialist. To schedule a consultation, contact the Vein Center of Maryland today.