Top Vein Treatments Howard CountyAugust 26, 2022
Symptoms of Varicose Veins MarylandSeptember 5, 2022
There are many options for treatment for age spots in Maryland. These small, flat, dark areas typically appear on areas exposed to the sun. Also called sunspots, lor liver spots, they can be a big issue for many people. Here’s what you should know about treatment for age spots in Maryland.
What are Age Spots?
Age spots are flat, dark spots on the skin. They are most common in adults and appear on the hands, face, shoulders, upper back, and tops of the feet. Age spots are caused by overactive pigment cells, which produce melanin in response to sun exposure.
They may be small, like freckles, or larger. Unlike freckles, dark spots do not fade with no sun exposure. Additionally, they may group together and become more noticeable.
Should I See a Doctor?
Normally, age spots are purely a cosmetic issue. However, if your dark spots have any of the following symptoms, you should speak to your doctor.
- Has an irregular border
- Is increasing in size
- Black in color
- Has an irregular combination of colors
Treatment for Age Spots in Maryland
There are many options for treating age spots. The first is prescription creams. These might include bleaching creams, retinoids, or mild steroids. Other options include:
- Laser and Intense Pulsed Light. These treatments destroy melanin-producing cells without damaging the skin.
- This treatment uses liquid nitrogen to destroy the extra pigment in age spots.
- Dermabrasion. Essentially, this treatment removes the surface layer of skin and new skin grows in its place.
- A milder, less aggressive approach than dermabrasion.
- Chemical Peels. This method uses a chemical solution the remove the top layers of skin and leave new, smoother skin in its place.
Doctor for Age Spots
If you would like to speak a doctor about treatment for your age spots, please contact the Vein Center of Maryland. We are conveniently located in Westminster, Eldersburg, Baltimore, Hunt Valley and Bel Air.