Guide to Sclerotherapy in MarylandAugust 8, 2022
Bulging Vein Treatments and CausesAugust 15, 2022
Are you wondering how to fix varicose veins? Keep reading to find out. Varicose veins are enlarged, twisted, blueish veins. This mostly occurs in the legs. While varicose veins and spider veins are purely a cosmetic concern for some people, they can cause serious health issues for others. There are many treatment options available as well as lifestyle changes that can help. Here’s how to fix varicose veins.
Typically, the first step is lifestyle changes. Some beneficial options are:
- Move. Be active. Walking is a great way to encourage blood flow in the legs. Your provider can recommend an appropriate activity level for you.
- Weight loss. Getting rid of excess weight can take unnecessary pressure off the veins.
- Proper footwear. Avoid high heels and choose low heeled shoes. Low heals work the calf muscle more which is better for your veins.
- Avoid tight clothing. Tight clothes around the waist, legs or groin can reduce blood flow.
- Put your feet up. Take several short breaks throughout the day to raise your legs above your heart level. This improves blood flow in the legs.
- Avoid sitting or standing for long periods. Frequently changing position encourages blood flow.
- Lower sodium intake. A low sodium diet helps prevent swelling caused by water retention.
Varicose Vein Treatments
If lifestyle changes don’t work, or your varicose veins are severe, you may need a vein treatment. There are many options, including:
- Sclerotherapy. This injection scars veins and causes them to close.
- Laser Treatment. Laser treatment uses strong bursts of light to make the vein slowly fade away.
- Ambulatory Phlebectomy. This involves removing smaller varicose veins through a series of tiny skin punctures.
- Radiofrequency or Laser Treatments. The provider inserts a catheter into the varicose vein and heats the tip with laser energy or radiofrequency energy. The heat destroys the vein and causes it to collapse, and seal shut.
How to Fix Varicose Veins in Maryland
Varicose veins can cause serious health issues if they are left untreated. However, treatment is fast and easy and covered by most insurance. To learn more about how to fix varicose veins in Maryland, please contact the Vein Center of Maryland today.